Mask Creation Questions

Discussion in 'Predator Anatomy (Costumes)' started by ThorKrohn, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

You need to be as accurate as possible. Either you put too little or too much it will affect the length that it takes to harden and so on. Just continue reading the properties of Ultra - Cal I use tiranti plaster ratio's and properties might vary slightly.

ThorKrohn likes this.
  2. ThorKrohn

ThorKrohn Unblooded

Hey thanks! Getting close to the first go and want to get it right the first time...hopefully

3. Jimbob24

Jimbob24 Hunter

You never get anything right first time in this hobby m8 there will all ways be something.. the more builds you do the better you get it all comes down to how far you wanna go with this and commitment

4. ThorKrohn

ThorKrohn Unblooded

Almost satisfied with my sculpt! Thinking about casting it in plastic first in case I mess up with the latex...

image.jpg

5. predatoj

predatoj Hunter

Ratios of plaster is not as critical as it is with such things as resin or silicone. With experience you can mix by eye and feel without scales. The best method is to sprinkle the plaster to the water. Then wait up to two minutes for the water to soak into the plaster. When it has the appearance of a dry river bed it's time to mix, once it's creamy your good to go. A good consistency is 'nachos cheese' this is good for the first few coats. Then as you build the strengthening layers add more plaster. The more plaster the quicker it goes off and the tougher it will be. And don't forget to add at least two layers of scrim. A good trick is to add struts; thin strips of scrim folded over, soak it in plaster and lay them on in cross sections.

6. ThorKrohn

ThorKrohn Unblooded

Well gang, it has been a while since I posted, I chickened out on the latex casting, so I utilized silicone and cast the "mask" out of plastic...it's more of a helmet but I am happy with it as my first attempt! Got armor and preda-body pictures soon! Thanks again for the community support!

image.jpg

7. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

Please more photos)
    Please, in color)
    (y)

8. ThorKrohn

ThorKrohn Unblooded

I uploaded more pics into a gallery, which maybe I shouldn't have, but there are more there: I'll have more armor and my Mr. Incredible suit conversion pics soon!

Jmen likes this.
  9. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

I love it. Gallery - for posting pictures, so - its all right)
    Great process, i am wip now with my predator head molding, so - i totally know how you feel)))

10. ThorKrohn

ThorKrohn Unblooded

So, I have just realized after looking at Wrev's recent post on FB...how terrible my paint job is on my mask/helmet....lol, time to research airbrushs and airbrush techniques!

LunaticNic likes this.
  11. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

I wouldn't necessarily say terrible, but the results you will get from painting with an airbrush will certainly be superior to a regular brush.

Jmen likes this.
  12. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

I think, it is all based on practice. Professionalism - repeating process again and again.
    Also - 90% - it is talent.
    :p:p:p

13. ThorKrohn

ThorKrohn Unblooded

Brush? Lol, I just used spray paint cans.....90% talent..lol!

LunaticNic likes this.
  14. ThorKrohn

ThorKrohn Unblooded

Played around with some different color schemes....not there yet....

IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

OldPredVA, LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  15. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter