My first Predator Costume

Discussion in 'Predator Anatomy (Costumes)' started by Dillonusob, Jan 6, 2017.

1. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

Not sure if you already looked into it, but most times bios are cast in "Smooth-cast Onyx".

But great work on the bio! It's refreshing to see more sculpting molding and casting going on!

2. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Thanks buddy! Yeah, Im just telling myself this is a learning curve that we all go through. Plus side Is I still have many parts to fabricate, so I can take breaks and now wotk in something different. Gonna cast my bio in monster clay, fix the tube mount I misssd, and re- mold with more patience, and less rushing. Good side? I have some wall hangings for friends, after paint up!!!

3. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Planning on switchin gears back to hands once my sculpts are re-done. Ultracal will be here on sat. Is release needed for latex with ultracal? Also, ratios for thinning/adding latex to acrylics for airbrushing? Sorry for the tons of questions, dudes!!

4. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Was just reassessing the bios, and they arent half bad, def gonna paint em up fir decorations, maybe a standard one, and then one with a wild color scheme/design. Maybe some Yautja designs...however, what I did was size down the actual size compared to my original, and Im realizing why bio helmets run on the large size lol. These wont cut it for halloween or cosplay. Maybe for my kids, bit not for me. Anyhow, I feel now more encouraged, to keep on going. Ya learn as ya go, and every mistake is a few experience points. Love this stuff, I am so happy that I found this hobby and this site. You guys are great!!

5. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Hey all, been working and failing, and gaining experience which is always good. Question- from this pic, do you think this rough sculpts size will accommodate for my hand after latex shrinkage? Also, here is my bio fail- needs to be bigger, and I needed to spend more time refining it not to mention practicing with my airbrush. Advice is welcome! Thanks!

IMG_4588.JPG

IMG_4589.JPG

OldPredVA, Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  6. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Heres more progress on hand prosthetics. What do upu guys yse for textures? Want to make the gloves have a different texture than the actual hands. The hands I plan on having bumps/scaling on the top side, flat/palm lines on the palm side.

IMG_4619.JPG

OldPredVA, LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  7. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

Maybe you can use some details of tactical (or even moto) gloves?
    HK251_002S.jpg Military-Men-PU-Tactical-Mittens-Sports-Male-Half-Finger-font-b-Gloves-b-font-Combat-Gear.jpg

Dillonusob and LunaticNic like this.
  8. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Thanks Jmen! Here is an update

Jmen likes this.
  9. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Gettin' my greeble action on.

IMG_4621.JPG

Huntress, OldPredVA, Jmen and 2 others like this.
  10. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Reccomendations for ratios of latex, paint and a thinner for painting latex? Read a few suggestions, but what works for you all?

11. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

I am ready to puke. The ultracal 30 stuck so hard to my monster clay, and my prying smashed the sculpt and the hand. 10+ Hours down the drain. Gotta start all over.

12. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

Is it totally broken? o__O

Dillonusob likes this.
  13. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Yeah, already melted down the monster clay and the mold was in multiple pieces. However, I did get to work on the right hand, and changed my design to wrinkles instead of bumps. I like the new design better. I hope that I have compensated enough and not too much for the latex shrinkage.

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

14. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

This hand is awesome! Design is even better than it was with "bubbles")))

Dillonusob likes this.
  15. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Thanks Jmen! I had settled on bubbles, just because I didnt think I could do the texture like that. Then I realized how to do it. Used a wire tool to do all the lines, then heatgun to soften the edges, and make it more like skin. Happy Now that I broke the orher one, as I am more satisfied with this. I think its closer to the film hands. Now I gotta refine it further and work on the nails meeting the finger. Infeel im hetting closer with each sculpt. Cant wait to re-sculpt my bio!!

Jmen likes this.
  16. Isubomo

Isubomo Elite Hunter

So sorry to hear about the left hand Dillon :(

But, yeah, I agree with Jmen, The right hand is looking meaner as bro, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger ;D

Dillonusob and Jmen like this.
  17. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

One thing I will say about fucking up, is that you truly do learn from it, and you get that extra bit of practice that pushes you to get better. My hands are not great, not perfect, but each time I had to rework them, they have gotten better. This is probably the 4th iteration since I started this project. So, failure is what you want- its all practice. Here is the left one blocked ou next to the right one. Will be paring it down and refining it later tonight.

IMG_4684.JPG

Isubomo, Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  18. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

What is the concensus on resin nails? Anyone try that? Was considering doing those in the hand prosthetics. Anyone have experience in that? And if so, how did they turn out?

LunaticNic likes this.
  19. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

I belive Alphatech did for his build, but not aware of anyone else.

20. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Ultracal is setting on the first half, then the flip, clean out and the other half. Praying to the mold gods!! Lol this part is always nervewracking, knowing I will have to destroy the sculpt to remove it....
    Here was just prior to the ultracal, white clay built up and retaining walls in place. Added in some pry points as well. Last time it was a bitch to separate even with release.
    IMG_4691.JPG

OldPredVA, Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  21. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

So.....I am worried I may have a problem. I had no problem pulling out the clay bottomfrom the mold after it was dry...or appeared dry. About an hour and a half. However the ultracal inside does not seem to be fully cured. It is gritty, and rubs off on my finger. IT is not cement on the inside! WHAt happened? ANYone? Im very worried!!!

IMG_4692.JPG

Jmen, OldPredVA and LunaticNic like this.
  22. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Update- i was able to scrape off most of that chalky layer around the sculpt. Im just praying that it isnt like that under the hand. All edges and back of mold are like polished stone. Totally dry very strange. Will check it out in the am.

23. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

So, i was able to scrape off that top chalky layer, and it appears to be dry now. Also made it nice and smooth, so the join will be tight. Do any of you seal the inner contact points if the mold? If so, what do you use?

24. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Well, the molding gods have blessed me with a success!! Only one mold so far, witing on more ultracal 30. So gawdamn happy right now! Pics of casts to come soon.

IMG_4695.JPG

Isubomo, LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  25. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

So, you don't want to give up, don't you? :D:D:D
    JK)))) Sorry)))
    Great step by step progress you do. Good thread.

Dillonusob likes this.