My first Predator Costume

Discussion in 'Predator Anatomy (Costumes)' started by Dillonusob, Jan 6, 2017.

1. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

Great work Dillan! You really seem to be getting the hang of things quick!

Dillonusob and Jmen like this.
  2. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Thanks jmen!! Yeah this thread should be renamed " the trials and tribulations of the pred noob" lol. I gave it a beauty coat, dwelled for an hour, poured off the leftover and drying now. I used the monster makers RD 407. Maybe a pull tonight if im lucky. Pics if I do, maybe a vid!

Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  3. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Thanks buddy! I am new but not new to art stuff. Was a sculpture minor at mass college of art in the early 90s. Its been 20+ years, but having a blast and getting my sculpture chops back.

LunaticNic likes this.
  4. Isubomo

Isubomo Elite Hunter

Congrats! :D Told ya the mould gods will come around! Can only get better from here!!! :D

Dillonusob likes this.
  5. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

6. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

God, I am so impatient lol. Thats my biggest fault. Fortunately I work 24 hour shifts, so my next cure will be the full 24. And then I may fill the tips a bit more, or add another coat inside to thicken up some parts. But all in all, I am pretty happy with it. Its only gonna get better from here!!

LunaticNic likes this.
  7. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

So now with a couple of pulls and a chance to put them on, Im realizing the palm area was too thick, as in the sculpt was too thick. And I also sculpted too big trying to accommodate for shrinkage. So, back to the drawing board. From scratch. I may try do a lifecast of my hand, then build it out a bit. How well does alginate handle liquid monster clay? Or is there another option as far as mold material to mold my hands? They are useable as prosthetics, but As I have progressed along here, I am not willing to settle for something that isn't as good as I know I can make it. Needs to fit right, and be as close to legit as possible. Thoughts?

8. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

So I researched, and the alginate life cast of my hand will be able to handle liquid monster clay as long as I do it in layers, and let it set. Sweet! Back to work on the bio for a while!

LunaticNic likes this.
  9. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Think that when I do go back to the hands I am definitley doing resin nails. Always had my nails get bubbles, not thick enough etc etc. and, Having actual hard nails would be killer. So yeah. Definitely doing that.

LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  10. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

Just don't stop. If you are started it, you need to finish.(y)

11. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

No stopping here Jmen!! ;) I just switch gears when I run out of materials. Gonna use alginate to cast my hands in monsterclay later, then build them up and sculpt em into pred hands. For now, I poured my monster clay into my old bio mold, and I am fixing the defects that I had no patience for. So, more bio work for a while :) Man, I love monster clay, just ordered another case, for a total of 30lbs of monster clay. Ordered som wed clay also, 25 lbs. Im in too deep now to ever give up! I am also building a low profile sculpture turntable this week to assist in sculpting from all angles quickly. Also-dont know If I mentioned this before in this looong thread, but I have been using a silicone basting brush for the clay and the resin. Cleans off perfecly, so you can reuse it instead of hundreds if chip brushes ruined by resin. Works great.

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

Isubomo, LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  12. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

C0jNTQmXAAAlD-4.jpg

Dillonusob likes this.
  13. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Jmen likes this.
  14. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

You know, what im talking about)))(y)

Dillonusob likes this.
  15. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

So this Is the bio I am trying to get closer to. Will update tonight with a pic of how the sculpt is going.

IMG_3953.JPG

16. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Some pics of the re-sculpt of the bio. Still a ways to go, but moving right along. Using a lot of home made screen captures of the movie stills. Not easy, as there are not a lot that are ideal, or from all angles. Getting closer though. Next is to work on the visor/eye holes. Heres some pics to compare the old bio with the new.

IMG_4759.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4763.JPG

IMG_4764.JPG

LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  17. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

Awesome work! (y)
    Just to add my 2 cents though, I would say the "snout" area looked more accurate to me in the first sculpt.;)

Dillonusob and Jmen like this.
  18. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

What looked more accurate? For my own education, and for when I get back to ot later- the blunted edges or the angle? Its hard for me to judge at times, I appreciate the input. Help is great!!

LunaticNic likes this.
  19. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Also- RIP HUDSON

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3690.JPG

LunaticNic likes this.
  20. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

Yes, RIP Bill... He was the best of Hudsons...:(

21. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

Indeed, R.I.P

As far as the snout is concerned, I would say the edges on the lower corners of the snout are to sharp and seemed slightly too large (As in it seems it should be slightly slimmer towards the bottom) but again, just my opinion.

22. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

I think your opinion is right corners need to be softened, and even up the bottom, right on man. I like input. Sometimes after spending so much time in a sculpt, you get blind to things like that. Thanks man!

LunaticNic likes this.
  23. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Still working. Waiting on more monster clay to melt and pour on the bio to do a quick smoothing as well as increase the size of the entire bio about an 1/8th of an inch. Getting closer. Pretty sure snout needs to go back a bit as well as the rear jaw. Eyes need to be a tad slimmer, and brow needs to be decessed and flattened a bit to be accurate with the width. Been analyzing and making notes to remember the changes I want.

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

Pred123, LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  24. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

I think for next stage you need this (or something similar)
    2k_46b74860d624b534.jpg
    263997.jpg

Dillonusob and LunaticNic like this.
  25. Dillonusob

Dillonusob Hunter

Ahhh! Awesome. Maybe I should. Would home depot carry some kind of caliper? Also, on that note, made a DIY sculpture turntable today.

Jmen likes this.