Narin's Aboriginal - finished (former WIP)

Discussion in 'Predator Models, Statues and Figures' started by M77, Apr 27, 2016.

1. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

Working on Narin's Aboriginal, this kit is great quality and a lot of fun to paint. I'll try to upload some more pics as I go along. Might take a while before I'm done though.
    20160427_162557.jpg

20160427_163435.jpg

KingJamie, City90pet, Erwin and 3 others like this.
  2. Spikepredatorv

Spikepredatorv Unblooded

3. Vyrstolf

Vyrstolf Hunter

Dude that's wicked

4. monkey5150

monkey5150 Hunter

coming out great, cant wait to see the rest

5. michael2

michael2 Hunter

Looks very good so far.

6. Tom V

Tom V Unblooded

Badass!

7. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

A little update after about a month's work. The basic skintone is now finished. If you've ever wondered what a predator / my little pony crossbreed would look like, take a look at the first pic :confused:
    The paint scheme started out a bit weird, but it has resulted in a very pale skin tone (the Albinoriginal?) with some very subtle blue/green and pink/purple undertones shining through (a bit hard to see the details in the photos). His tan will be improved when I'll add a brown oil glaze later on in the process, bringing out the great skin detail that Narin sculpted and balancing out the shading. Just need to seal up the paint job so far and then I can start applying the skin patterns. I've gotten inspiration from a species of poison dart frog, I'll be back in a while to show how that turns out. :D

20160516_110717.jpg

20160516_145438.jpg

20160518_231035.jpg

20160522_224437.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  8. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

Your paint ups are just phenomenal :D can't wait to see it finished!

9. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

Thanks man! The upcoming stage is the most nerve wrecking, don't want to mess up all the work I already put in, but also the most fun to do if the result is as intended.

LunaticNic likes this.
  10. monkey5150

monkey5150 Hunter

absolutely insane, what a great series of base colors, how did you ever think them up?????

11. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

It came to me in a dream... :lol:
    I've been studying photo's of other people's paint ups, especially Joe Dunaway's (http://www.modelzone.com). You can see all kinds of blues, greens, pinks etc. underneath the skin, which gives a great sense of depth and translucency. This is my attempt to do something similar. I've tried adding coloured accents before in previous model kits, but then added these later on, on top of the skin, which always looked horrible; much too prominent.

12. Erwin

Erwin Hunter

That's the way to do it. Great work

13. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

Haven't finished the patterns yet, just the torso and arms, but wanted to share my bold colour choice... :) Inspired by the incredible Hell breed paint up Justin recently shared, I've decided to go for a less traditional colour scheme. The skin colours will be dulled down a bit with an orange brown glaze later on, so this isn't the final look.

20160606_145317.jpg

20160606_145520.jpg

Erwin, Jmen, Wreav and 1 other person like this.
  14. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

This is probably the most interesting project I've seen in weeks.

15. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

Thanks! I think it's still second to a certain break dancing predator I recently saw :D

Wreav likes this.
  16. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

;) me and my shenanigans. That's what I do at cons. I want to see more progress on this Pred! I get insanely bored looking at vast threads (I think I have almost seen/read them all. I only hope more interesting threads are created so I can go 'WOW'

17. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

Haha! I pick up that gauntlet, sir!

18. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

Slow and steady wins the race; skin patterns are finished.
    The croc skin armour is next. Gradually getting there!

20160616_100755.jpg

20160616_100817.jpg

19. Jmen

Jmen Elite Hunter

no words... its a kind of magic (click-click) (y)

20. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

Stellar work man!!!! This thing is out of this world ;)

Jmen likes this.
  21. Isubomo

Isubomo Elite Hunter

Like Jmen and Nic said...Stellar Magic M77!!! Can't wait to see this finished!

LunaticNic likes this.
  22. Justin

Justin Hunter

Oh, man... That thing looks awesome! I hate painting dot patterns, but the effect here is just as, if not more, eye catching than most dot patterns I've seen. And that orange POPS like crazy. It looks awesome, man! Can't wait to see more of it.

23. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

Thanks guys! It actually turned into a kind of concept paint job. I wanted to do something with the aboriginal theme (as if the giant boomerang wasn't enough), but smearing on white body paint didn't feel like the way to go (on the pred figure I mean). So eventually I opted for a colour scheme consisting of the four main colours used in traditional aboriginal art: white (the clouds), black (the aboriginal people), yellow (the sun) and red (the red earth), also found, except for white, in the aboriginal flag.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    LunaticNic and Isubomo like this.
  24. M77

M77 Elite Hunter

Just a tiny update after 2,5 hours of masking and an hour of air brushing. Basic colours for the croc skin armour are finished, now these need a clear coat and a wash, then another clear coat. Then, towards the end of the whole project, an oil glaze to finish it off.

20160626_181447.jpg

Isubomo, LunaticNic and Jmen like this.
  25. BENSIN

BENSIN Elite Hunter

I wish I had this kind of talent, looks very promising, keep us posted.